Math Teacher Laura Thomas Wins Surprise Award

Rachel Collins

Mrs. Thomas was surprised this morning with winning a teaching award from Peabody Energy.

Shelly Clark & Sarah Reinsel, Reporters
January 27, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

During her third hour geometry class today, Laura Thomas (Math Department) was interrupted with a pleasant surprise.

The Peabody Energy Corporation had chosen Laura Thomas to win the prestigious Leaders in Education Award, and a representative had come to her classroom to present her with the award, a gift basket, and a check for $1,000. Her co-workers were also there to support her, and congratulate her on her hard work and love for teaching.

“I was surprised to get the award. I knew I was nominated, and I knew something was up today, but it was still a complete surprise when they came in the classroom and said I had won,” said Thomas.

She was nominated by Amy Kaiser (Math Department), who had previously received the award.

“I nominated her because she’s a phenomenal teacher, and she naturally encourages students to excel and succeed. She was a student teacher for me 14 years ago, and I learned more from her during her student teaching than she probably learned from me. She’s always been that way,” said Kaiser.

The Peabody Energy Corporation supports teachers in the classroom through this award by recognizing excellence and leadership.

“It’s nice to be recognized outside of the classroom and the district, because it is an international award,” said Kaiser.

As part of the award, Thomas will be attending a dinner at the Ballpark Hilton in the spring.

She is also in the running for another award from Peabody for $5,000. Part of what decides who wins this will be a vote on Facebook. The Lindbergh School District can show their support by voting for her on Facebook, starting this spring. More information on this contest is still to come.

Learn more about the Peabody Energy Leaders in Education program here.

(Hear former students give their views on Mrs. Thomas in the audio player.)

Comments

One Response to “Math Teacher Laura Thomas Wins Surprise Award”

1. Peter K on January 27th, 2012 5:16 PM

That’s fantastic! Mrs. Thomas absolutely deserves it. To this day, from elementary school math through linear algebra, she’s easily the best math teacher I’ve ever had. I hope she wins the $5,000 prize as well.

[Reply]