A Rose By Any Other Name – Students with Unique Names

Lelah Schneider, Staff Writer

A Rose By Any Other Name

Lindbergh Students Share What It’s Like to Have “Unique” Names

Lindbergh isn’t known for its interesting names. We possess no shortage of Emmas and Jakes, Maddies and Wills. But not everyone has a name straight off Social Security’s “Top Names of the 1990s” list. Many names given to Lindbergh students can’t be found on anyone else in the school, or even in the rest of the city.

Most students, such as Kruz Higginbotham (11), are fond of their “unique” names and like them to the impressions they leave on fellow students. Others like their names because of their peers’ positive reactions.

“I love it. I think it’s really cool. It’s not like having a name like Lisa or something common. It’s more like ‘Oh, your name’s so cool!’ or ‘You have such an interesting name!’ I love hearing that,” Tatiana Bailey (11) said.

Perhaps there may be challenges that go along with having a unique name, but overall, students concur that it’s worth it to have an uncommon name. For some, though, the burdens of their names outweigh the positives.

“My mom… decided to ruin my life and name me Anaïs. I hate it. It’s stupid. There’s first days of school, substitute teachers, job interviews, meeting new people, and anytime in between those,” Anaïs Henzel (10) said.

Along with spelling, one dilemma that these students often face is that of pronunciation. Henzel’s name is often pronounced “Uh-NAY-is” instead of “Ah-nuh-EES”; Dayle Zimmerman (8) commonly hears “DAY-lee”; Jemielle Guimbalista (10) puts up with new peers and substitute teachers asking if her name is pronounced “Jem-ee-elle”.

“There hasn’t really ever been a day where there hasn’t been one person that’s been, like, ‘Hey, what’s your name?’” Kupono Ronquillio (12) said. (His full first name is, in fact, Kuponomakalokomaikaiokeakua.)

However, these students’ names often have notable meaning. Bailey was born in a maternity home in Russia, and after the women in the maternity home gave her the name Tatiana, her American adoptive parents chose not to change it. Ronquillio’s name means “to stand righteous by the grace of God.” Henzel’s mother named her after author Anaïs Nin.

Many “unusual” names came, in actuality, from combining two names or words together, called a portmanteau. Guimbalista’s Jemielle materialized from the combination of “Jesus” and “millenium.” Zimmerman’s Dayle originated with her parents’ middle names, Dennis and Gayle. Alana Compton (10), whose middle name is Clarista, possesses both a first name and a middle name created in this fashion.

Ersa Lybesha (10) is another student with a portmanteau as a name; it comes from the first two letters of her parents’ heavily Greek names, Erilda and Samir.

“It’s a really good thing that they had names that sort of fit, because I could have been named, like, Shicaljfdsghoui or something like that!” Lybesha said.