The Struggle of Being a Teenage Prodigy (Lindbergh’s Multi Talented Musicians)

Jessica Belle Kramer, Staff Writer

An Inside Look into the Lives of Lindbergh Students Who Play Multiple Instruments

Students who immerse themselves in the art of music roam all throughout the halls of Lindbergh High School. However, most students don’t realize the amount of bi, tri, or even quad-instrumentalists they sit next to everyday in class. These gifted students may have the hard task of juggling honors classes, extra-curricular activities, and band rehearsals, but their passion for music makes it worth their while.

Joseph Ha is a student in Lindbergh’s AP Music Theory class. Ha plays the trombone in both Symphonic Band, as third chair, and in brass choir, while also playing the piano. Ha manages time between AP classes by emphasizing his study of one instrument over another when it is most crucial.

“It’s pretty tough to schedule time to finish homework, practice my instruments, and do things I actually like. I practice the piano about five times a week, and I have a private instructor. I haven’t practiced the trombone as much lately since concert season hasn’t started, but once concert season begins, I’ll practice about four to five times a week,” Joseph Ha (12) said.

Joseph Ha is talented musician, whose passion for the arts helps him make time for everything he enjoys.

Zachary Foulks is an AP student and a member of the National Honors Society who plays the clarinet, tenor saxophone, trumpet, violin, and piano. Foulks is currently the Vice President of the marching band, clarinet section leader, and soloist clarinet, he has several impressive accomplishments in multiple bands.

“I’ve been in the Lindbergh Symphonic Band, Jazz Lab, Jazz Ensemble, St. Louis All-Suburban Band, Young People Symphonic Orchestra, St. Louis Symphony Youth Orchestra, and served as Principal Clarinet for the Missouri All-State Band last year. I’m also the clarinet soloist for this year’s marching band show; it was funny because the judges from Bands of America put ‘The clarinet soloist is shreddin’ it’ on our judging sheet,” Zachary Foulks (12) said.

Foulks may enjoy practicing music, but admits it’s easier said than done finding time to do homework in between band rehearsals and other extracurriculars.

“I would say I practice each instrument a few hours a day through the multiple band rehearsals I attend, along with seeing a private instructor for clarinet. It’s a nightmare managing time between band, homework, and volunteering for National Honors Society. On Mondays I don’t get home to start homework until around ten o’clock at night, and on Tuesdays at nine o’clock.” Foulks said.

Despite his rigorous academics, Foulks’ captivation with music remains strong, and his hard work is paying off.

Asher Harris is a member of the Lindbergh High School Science Bowl and Future Business Leaders of America, who also plays clarinet for the Lindbergh Symphonic Band and first chair tenor saxophone for Lindbergh Jazz Lab. Despite his busy schedule, Harris has found a practicing regimen that works for him.

“When I have time, I’ll practice on the weekdays, but normally I’m either too busy with homework or too tired from school, so, I’ll save my practicing for the weekends. It’s difficult to schedule time for practicing and homework some nights,” Asher Harris (11) said.

Harris also taught himself how to play the tenor saxophone after mastering the clarinet.

“I learned clarinet through band and I have a private instructor. Most people are pretty impressed when I tell them I play two instruments, or that I taught myself one of them, but it wasn’t too hard because they’re pretty similar” Harris said.

Along with his musical talents, Harris also holds an unique position in the band, alongside his friend, Tristan Wilbers.

“I’m one of the spirit chairs for the Spirit of Saint Louis Marching Band. We lead cheers during football games, plan other events, and, as the name implies, raise spirit throughout the band. I really enjoy it,” Harris said.

Harris is a talented musician whose boisterous musical skills keep him motivated.-

Alexander Medeiros is an honors student who has mastered all of the saxophones, the banjo, trumpet, piano, guitar, bass guitar, and recorder. Medeiros plays first tenor saxophone in Jazz Band and first chair alto saxophone in Lindbergh’s Concert band. He keeps a positive outlook on his busy schedule.

“It’s not incredibly difficult to schedule time between homework and music. I practice around 15-30 minutes a day, and I have a private instructor for alto saxophone. I figure, if you want to do it enough, then it’s easy to find time,” Alexander Medeiros (10) said.

Though Medeiros works hard, he finds ways to entertain himself, and others, through music. Medeiros is particularly savvy with the recorder.

“I taught myself how to play the recorder by using my nose, it wasn’t extremely difficult. One day I had it in my pocket, and it was the end of the day, so I pulled it out and shoved it together. Then, I started playing the graduation march and apparently there’s a note in that particular song that, evidently, sounds similar to the final bell. A bunch of kids just got up and left. It was funny because Frau was just standing there confused saying, ‘I don’t know what that was, but that wasn’t the bell!’” Medeiros said.

Overall, Lindbergh High School is home to talented musicians who work hard to manage their time wisely. Though it may be tricky to juggle music along with schoolwork, extracurriculars, and music, these young musician are encouraged by their passion for music.