Outfits of the Week (OOTW)

Picture 1 (left): 12th grade student Valerie Schmittgens exploits uniform-less school campus
Picture 2 (right): 9th grade student Jeremiah Johnson models the prepared, “debater” style

Picture 1 (left): 12th grade student Valerie Schmittgens exploits uniform-less school campus Picture 2 (right): 9th grade student Jeremiah Johnson models the prepared, “debater” style

John Romer, Staff Writer

Freedom and preparation inspire style among students at Lindbergh

Getting suited up for school can be an understandable challenge for some, especially when waking up at 6:30 in the morning. For those who choose to undertake such a task, there can be a certain amount of satisfaction. This comes from the prepared, organized feeling that the freedom of dressing up brings. This comes to students in many different opportunities.

On occasion, students will be required to dress up for certain events, such as an in-class presentation or an upcoming sports event. By assigning this, teachers and coaches are attempting to encourage high-schoolers to arrange themselves as if they are in the context of a professional setting. Many careers require a formal style of dress to wear into work each day. A class that similarly simulates this experience in certain situations is Speech and Debate, which requires students to be formally dressed for debates.

“I look good in everything, but it was originally for Speech and Debate,” Jeremiah Johnson (9) said.

When asked why he chose this specific outfit, this was the response, followed by another question of why he was dressed so sharply. At first glance, this opinion could be seen as headstrong but the reality of it is exactly how these teachers want the students to perceive themselves. This method of requiring formality builds upon their confidence which fuels them to strive for the best at whatever activity they are doing, even something as simple as a high school debate. For some though, they like to exploit the freedom of not having school uniforms.

When asked when she started to first dress up for school, Valerie Schmittgens (12) said, “Freshman year. I had to wear a uniform when I went to private school so it’s nice to have the freedom.”

“Dressing up” doesn’t even have to mean a full-blown tuxedo or dress with high heels. The phrase could be taken as how one chooses to clothe himself/herself daily, from their own personal preference. Many students don’t realize the opportunity they have to choose what to wear to school each day, but those who do realize know how nice is to have the freedom to express style openly. It allows the student to feel prepared for school as well as satisfied with how they can strut their stuff.