From Summer to Schedule

Anni Dineen is involved in several clubs including NHS, stuco, and CHADS. She was nominated a co-leader for CHADS two years ago.

Ayu Lockos

Camryn Kopp, Staff Writer

getting eight hours of sleep a night is a one in a million chance”

Anni Dineen (12)

Everybody knows that the transition from summer into the school year can be exhausting and a little upsetting. When almost three months of sitting along the poolside and relaxing with friends comes to an end, sometimes students can get overwhelmed by all the work placed on their shoulders during the first few weeks of school.
From getting up at the crack of dawn to trying to balance extracurriculars, homework, and personal time, the sudden change can leave some students feeling beaten down. So how do students like you manage keeping up in school as well as staying involved and staying close with friends?

While students reflect on how their routine changed, they realize how much time school really takes up.

“In summer, getting eight hours of sleep a night was a bad night, but now, getting eight hours of sleep a night is a one in a million chance,” Dineen said.

Sleep is definitely one of the harder alterations to make going into the school year. While the obvious solution is to go to bed earlier, homework plus extracurriculars make it near impossible to get a full eight hours of sleep or more.

While all the obligations students face may be a challenge, Dineen really knows how to manage it all.

“Starting your homework right when you get home and making sure you find time for yourself can make all the difference,” Dineen said.

Believe it or not, the beginning of school does have its upsides. Getting involved in sports and clubs, while it does take some time out of a student’s day, can be really rewarding and help the  transition go smoother.

“There’s people in clubs who are my friends and we don’t hang out outside of school, so I get to see them again,” Emily Bushway (12) said.

So, while school may be arduous, there are ways to make your four years of high school more enjoyable. Joining a club or sport can be a great way to meet new people that can help ease the transition, and concentrating on school work will always pay off.