Cube Kids

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cube Kids

Ayu Lockos, Staff Writer

Feliks Zemdegs currently holds the average world record for solving a three by three Rubick’s Cube in 6.54 seconds. Meanwhile students at LHS are also engaging in the challenging activity of spinning color coated plastic tiles between their fingers for fun.

“I learned how to solve a Rubik’s Cube about a year and a half ago during freshmen year,” John Benwell (11) said.

Benwell’s record is about 19 seconds on a basic three by three cube. The young cube enthusiast has his friends to thank for his leisure pursuit.

“My friends really got me into it, and now, it’s just my hobby,” Benwell said.

Although Benwell enjoys Rubik’s Cube for himself, he discovered it was great entertainment to other people.

“Whenever I solve a cube, I end up surprising a lot of people and they freak out and ask how I solve it so quick,” Benwell said.

Another student at Lindbergh that dedicated a lot of time into learning how to solve a Rubik’s Cube is Teddy Milford (11).

“It took me at least six solid hours to learn at first” Milford said.

Devoting most of his time to other extracurriculars, most people wouldn’t expect Milford to be one to invest his time into solving rubik’s cubes just for his own satisfaction.

“I learned how to solve one because a kid in my world history class freshmen year bragged about being able to solve one all the time. So then I was really determined to learn too,” said Milford. Milford’s current self record is about nine seconds.

“I would say I memorize around 75 algorithms and it doesn’t take me very long to learn a new one. It takes like five or 10 minutes to learn a new algorithm,” said Milford.

While many students are not aware of how much time some students are willing to commit to cubing, other students are extremely eager to learn how to solve a cube or breaking records for personal enjoyment.