Student Spotlight: Emma Schaefer

Student seeks to share a healthy lifestyle through social media

One+of+Schaefer%E2%80%99s+creations+from+the+%40earthlyeats+Instagram+account.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Student Spotlight: Emma Schaefer

One of Schaefer’s creations from the @earthlyeats Instagram account.

Madie Hays, Staff Writer

With over 14 thousand followers, Emma Schaefe (11), runs the locally famous ‘EarthlyEats’ Instagram account. Created in May 2015, the page designed to promote healthy eating began to gain more and more popularity, giving Schaefer the idea to build a website. After her recent redesign, earthlyeats.net is user-friendly and consistently updated with new photos, recipes, and short overviews of each snack or meal.

Both the account and blog are filled with countless recipes for all kinds of treats like pancakes, smoothie bowls, cookies, wraps and more. They range from vegetarian to vegan to gluten free or sometimes pertain to certain diets. All recipes provide nutritious ingredients yet an incredible taste.

Her main goal is to inform today’s youth about healthier versions of food they already love. The blog dispenses recipes fit for beginners starting off on a new lifestyle and some for those wishing to increase their knowledge on healthy cooking. Schaefer gets most of the basics from old recipes, but the creative aspect of her food is completely original.

“For the most part I make all of my recipes from scratch, but I will sometimes go to other websites or blogs for reference,” Schaefer said.

Schaefer’s purpose for creating ‘earthly eats’ mainly derives from her desire for young people to get excited about cooking and baking while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Healthy alternatives are introduced through her blog and website to influence teenagers about the thousands of snacks that are good for you and can also taste great. Schaefer wants others to know how simple it is to get ahold of healthier products and ingredients to make them into a delicious treat.

Healthy living is now rapidly acquiring more recognition which is nothing but positive for the physical and mental wellness of today’s youth, however it is important to be educated about certain diets and trends. Many blogs, including Emma’s, provide a helpful insight on beginning a new daily regime. Beginning a new diet is not as stressful and boring as it appears, Earthly Eats, along with other blogs, brings a tasteful sense to healthy eating. Schaefer explains how crucial balance is when trying to establish a new lifestyle.

“Advice I have for people who want to start a healthy lifestyle is to just start off small. You don’t need to just eat kale everyday; it’s important to balance out your meals,” Schaefer said.

https://www.instagram.com/earthlyeats