LHS Strange Christmas Traditions

Mackenzie Huffman, Staff Writer

December 25th is one of the most awaited, stressful, and money spending holidays across the world. Within the month of December and the few days after Thanksgiving, different families in the LHS community have different traditions to celebrate the upcoming holiday. However the common natural tree cutting or the cookie decorating are not in this article but in replace, some of the strangest Christmas traditions.

The most notable feature about Santa, other than his snow white beard, that is his big belly from eating homemade cookies from children around the globe. A plate full of cookies and a glass tall of milk is most necessary to leave out for Santa, a tradition that started back during the 1930’s. Even though the classic story about the milk and cookies being quoted throughout every Christmas movie, book, and story, Jessie Hensel (9) has created a new tradition for her family.

“Every Christmas Eve, instead of cookies and milk, my family makes waffles and leaves a plate out with waffles, syrup, and orange juice out for Santa,” Hensel said.

Another tradition that is most popularly connected to Santa is the fact that presents are opened in the morning of Christmas Day, hours after Santa delivers them. It is said in the Christian religion, that Jesus was born in the early morning of the 25th, so it is only logical to open presents delivered in the morning. However, Jennifer Vo (10) and her family opt to open presents at a later time.

“My family allows the kids to open one present really late into Christmas Eve, but we have to wait until dinner time Christmas Day to open the rest,” Vo said.

Speaking of presents, many people at LHS give presents to their families and friends, and occasionally their teachers. Secret Santa is a popular game in LHS sports, publications, and clubs that partake after school while families and friends exchange gifts with each other either before or during Winter Break. Usually, pets aren’t accounted for presents during Christmas, but Michael Woodland (12) and his family try and include his 4 pets in all Christmas activities.

“We give presents to our dogs like bones or a new toy. Occasionally, we dress them up with Christmas sweaters for festivities,” Woodland said.

Some families celebrate the birth of Jesus in a different way than most people do. The Weik family not only, decorates their entire house and lawn with Christmas decorations, they honor Jesus in a differing way.

“On Christmas Eve, my family makes a 3 layer cake for Jesus. It’s really weird but really fun to eat afterwards.” Meredith Weik (12) said.

In the LHS community, families celebrate Christmas differently and sometimes strangely. Whether it be cookie decorating or dog decorating, Christmas time is a time for love, either with families or friends.