Sightseeing Students

Students from Lindbergh travel to France, Great Britain, Costa Rica, and Germany

Alyssa Mayo, Writer

This past summer, the Lindbergh Flyers went international. The German, French, Spanish and English departments all traveled to a country speaking the respective language with a total of 49 students in attendance. A junior french student, Ashley Lawton (11), explains the reason that this trip was so meaningful.

“In France, my biggest take away was that taking a language is important because it’s universal communication. It gets you further in life when you are bilingual and know how to talk to others,” Lawton said.

Experiencing another country can not only be a way to learn about a new culture, but can also change the way we see our own.

“My biggest takeaway was realizing what it meant to be an American citizen,” Emma Deutschman(12) said, “because for the first time in my life, I wasn’t surrounded by other Americans in an English speaking city.”

Seeing more of the world, even just one more country, caused Paul Fee(11) to appreciate how much there is to see.

“Just the realization that there is so much more in the world than the United States was the most significant thing I took away from that trip,” Fee said.

As people become accustomed to the social norms in America, it’s easy to forget that they are not the same as we travel.

“Cultural differences are a big thing I learned about because nothing is the same in any countries and they’re all special and unique,” Lawton said.

From country to country, it’s almost always obvious to identify someone as an American. From the way we behave to the way speak, we are naturally different, but we have the choice to determine the kind of impression we leave.

“When you’re abroad you suddenly become the sole representative of your country and you can either leave a good or bad impression of your country. I learned about other countries’ impressions of us and our media as well,” Deutschman said.