Do You Dual Enroll?

Students Share Pros and Cons With Dual Enrollment

Brooke Richeson, Staff Writer

College is coming up for every high school student and it cost loads of money. Even though scholarships and financial aid can be put in place to help, many high school students can save money from dual enrollment.

Dual enrollment is being entered in high school classes, that are mandatory for graduation, and also taking college classes, to get some college credits out of the way.

“We have to take at least four classes at Lindbergh and two at Meramec Community College. It’s nice because I get a little bit of high school and a little bit of college at one time, so I’m not just going straight to college, I get to ease into it,” Jaclyn Lucido (12) said.

The classes that are offered as part of dual enrollment are exactly the same as any college class but are half priced.

“It’s nice because it’s way cheaper for a college class. I won’t have to take the classes next year when I go to college, so it saves a lot of money. Also, it has allowed me to meet new people and get a college experience and know what college classes are like,” Lucido said.

While being dual enrolled is helpful, the program also has its flaws that can add stress to current high school students.

“The only bad thing about being dual enrolled is that I leave Lindbergh after fifth hour, and sometimes I miss events and things that go on at that time. But in the end of the day I love being dual enrolled and the strengths outweigh the weaknesses of it,” Lucido said.

Some students decide that dual enrollment is not for them, but when deciding, it is important to think about the pros and cons.

“I thought that dual enrollment was stupid, but now I wish I would have done it because I have to take all the classes my freshman year that I would not have to take if I did dual enrollment. But then I think that if I did dual enrollment, it would be like rushing through high school and I would miss out,” Kate Vlaich (12) said.