The History of LHS

Camryn Kopp, Senior Writer

How Lindbergh Has Transformed, Renovated Over Time

Over six decades have passed since the opening of Lindbergh High School in 1952 to present day. Since the first years of our school’s existence, a great deal has changed to make LHS the school we know today.

Population

Until the 1970s, Lindbergh’s enrollment was generally very small. Most of the land surrounding the high school was empty farm land. After World War II ended, families wanted to move away from the city, and the farmland was turned into neighborhoods. Everyone moving into these houses at the same time were also having kids at the same time, and those kids all reached the high school age in the 70s, when school enrollment peaked at around 4,000 students.
When Tallis Lockos (Class of 1961) attended Lindbergh in the early 1960s, the campus was not yet growing with the number of students, and therefore, Lindbergh had to compensate.
“When I attended Lindbergh, there were two shifts for students: Freshmen and sophomores came in the morning, and juniors and seniors arrived in the afternoon. That was the only way they could fit all of the students,” Lockos said.
After that generation made it through the system, the population leveled off at around 2,000 students, where it stands today.
Now, however, many houses are being sold by the original owners to young families with kids that will all go through high school at the same time once again. Lindbergh now faces the issue of making more room for the expected jump in enrollment that is expected in the near future.
“Every classroom that currently exists has a teacher in it. We’ve hired more and more teachers every year just to fill the needs of the more students we’re getting. All we’re doing now is taking the central office which used to be mostly classrooms and we’re turning it back into classrooms so that in the short term, by next year, we will have space for more kids to come in,” Eric Cochran (Head Principal) said.

Extracurriculars

Compared to all of the clubs and sports that LHS offers today, the options during its first years were very limited. Sports like baseball, basketball, football, track, and more were available for the boys. For girls, however, volleyball was the only choice. Girls could also be a member of FTA, or Future Teachers of America, and a similar club for future nurses, since those were the main two professions for women to enter into. Cheryl Lockos (Class of 1963) experienced first hand the challenges of getting involved in the early 1960s.
“To be a cheerleader, the qualifications were different and only a few were selected,” Lockos said.
By the 1990s, many more activities were offered at Lindbergh, and a lot was changing to improve the conditions of outdoor athletics.
“During my senior year, all of the fields were being built, so our baseball team had to play at Affton Athletic Association,” Scott Luczak (Athletic Director) said.
Compared to the mere handful of activities offered in 1962, real progress has been made as the extracurriculars continue to grow and expand. One thing that has not changed however, is Lindbergh’s school spirit and Green Machine. Although the former name, Pep club, was left behind, the pride and hype remains at games and other events to this day.

Technology / Student-Teacher Relationships

In an age where everything is digital, it is hard to imagine going to school without being able to use the internet to research for a paper or pull out headphones and listen to music while working.
In some classes, such as driver’s education, this missing technology made a large difference in the outcome of the class. Without today’s simulators and other tools used to help students better understand driving before getting behind the wheel, driver’s ed looked much different.
“Two other students were in the back seat, the teacher was in the passenger’s seat, and he just said ‘start driving’. I had no experience before that, and when he told me to park the car, I did not know how and I just started crying,” Cheryl Lockos said.
Today’s technology allows students to contact teachers at any point in the day, turn in homework from an iPhone and complete schoolwork much more efficiently than ever before.
All students today can recognize the support and assistance that teachers give, in and out of the classroom. However, it has not always been this way. For students decades ago at Lindbergh’s start, the relationship between students and teachers was strictly that: a student and a teacher. Bonds and friendships were hardly heard of between the two.
“If I had a problem, there was nobody to go to. I would have to go to the principal’s office and maybe see a counselor, but having a one-on-one with a teacher never happened for me. I don’t think the counselor even knew my name,” Cheryl Lockos said.
Thankfully, the amazing teachers at LHS today strive to help students feel comfortable and included.
“20 years from now, when students look back on their high school experience, they are not going to remember one lesson, but they will remember the relationship they had with their teachers. The bond that they shared, the personal things that teachers did for students and how teachers supported them,” Cochran said.
Lindbergh has gone through countless transformations, and the school is only going to continue to improve. As for future cosmetic renovations, it is up to the community to decide what is best for LHS.
“The number one reason why people say we need a new campus is safety. Our campus is too spread out and has too many open doors. That is why some people will be in support of large renovations in the future,” Cochran said.
The future holds promising changes for everything from cosmetics to student life. Through the years, Lindbergh has gone through innumerable changes all of which have made our school the place we know and love today.