Part Two: A Look at ‘Finstas’

Students Log on to the Second Side of Instagram

Back to Article
Back to Article

Part Two: A Look at ‘Finstas’

Madeline Hays

Madeline Hays

Madeline Hays

Madeline Hays, Staff Writer

For almost eight years, Instagram has done nothing but grow as one of the top downloaded social media apps. Years ago, people were obsessed with building their account to raise high numbers of followers, likes, and posts, however, a new era has begun. Recently, Instagram users have been toying around with a new concept of a second, more private account; in other words, a finsta. A finsta, or a “fake” Insta, is a second account teenagers use to post silly pictures of themselves or their friends. According to Urban Dictionary, a finsta is an account one can post on without persecution from school, jobs, or society as a whole. Despite popular opinions, are private accounts really that private? Many LHS students share the “spam account” trend but everyone has a chosen desired aesthetic for their quirky account.

When making a spam, a clever username is not only a fun concept to tack on to the account as a whole, but basically a right of passage into the realm of finstas. A play on words with first or last names is usually the way to go. This makes the account more playful rather than something boring that won’t be exciting to use.

“My finsta handle is _greeneggsn_sam. I think it’s sort of an expectation to make a funny username for your second account, it makes it more creative,” Samantha Hurst (12) said.

Users may also retreat to their second account to rant or talk about problems regarding school, friends, family, or even work. While a finsta can mostly be viewed by close friends of choice, some things are better left unsaid.

“I often rant about my day on my spam, it makes me feel better especially if it’s a bad day. If I would suggest anything about a finsta I would say be conscious of who you mention in your posts and try to make it a positive space,” Hurst said.

Content is another important factor regarding the quality of a finsta. Funny pictures are always the way to go whether it’s of yourself or a friend it makes the account more entertaining.

“Definitely post ugly pictures of yourself, it makes the second account more personal and funny,” Cory Dieringer (11) said.

Whether it be candid photos of friends or an ongoing venting session about work, school, or family, a finsta is all about the fun. By keeping the followers count small, a spam can be a comfortable place to resort to and share goofy pictures to make everyone laugh.