The Power of Meditation and Outside Help

CHADS board outside of the counselor's office

Travis Patton

Travis Patton

Travis Patton, Writer

Now just like any other time is when many people are becoming overwhelmed with stress and anxiety. This of course can make a person start to shut down and even become a little depressed. However there is a simple and easy way to help make your day a little better. It is accessible and can fit into anyone’s lifestyle or busy schedule; it is Meditation. This method of relaxation can be as quick as 10 minutes everyday and will began to have long term positive effects healthwise.

It can help with depression, heart disease, high blood pressure and so many more mental and physical health issues. This is a method of self help and can really work on improving one’s state of mind. It slows down the way the brain focuses and process information. Many will feel renewed and more aware of their surroundings, and the world around them. Even when you’re not meditating the brain has an effect of focusing better.  Another method of self help is to gain the strength to use the programs that one has access to. One of Lindbergh’s ways to reach out to anyone going through hard times is through the CHADS (Communities Healing Adolescent Depression and Suicide) Coalition.

“CHADS coalition was started by Chad McCord’s parents after they lost their son, Chad, through suicide. In 2014, Mrs. Hereford sponsored the CHADS ambassadors program at LHS to help promote mental health awareness and suicide prevention,” Riya Patel (12) Said.

CHADS works with students who join what is called the Ambassador Programs.

“The idea behind the Ambassador program is to teach students how to connect people that are struggling with the help they need, and also include students who may feel excluded,” Emma Fore (12) Said.

This program through Lindbergh is very accessible for anyone who wants help or someone who can make them feel heard and understood.

“The CHADS coalition provides various resources such as support groups, text hotlines, phone hotlines, and counselors that are free or at a reduced rate. The CHADS coalition website provides information as well as pamphlets/flyers in the counseling office or Mrs. Hereford’s (Science department & CHADS sponsor) classroom,” Patel Said.

“Teachers with a green Safe Place sign have officially been trained on how to help students and understand confidentiality.  When there is a safety issue, however, teachers are required to report it. As far as CHADS meetings, we discuss aspects of mental illness with the help of Colleen (an employee of CHADS) and educational videos, but also while remaining mindful that people are sensitive to the topics we discuss. We do our best to keep CHADS a place where everyone feels welcome and supported,” Fore Said.