Family Connections

Travis Patton, Writer

Most lindbergh students know that school is a huge part of their time where they are away from their family. However, few people are not away from their family because they can have siblings or even parents as fellow teachers. There could be many advantages of having a parent as a high school teacher especially when one first starts LHS.

“Absolutely, my kids knew the school so well and how to get around I encouraged them to get Involved, make new friends, and be a part of a club, sport, etc.,” Amy Kaiser (Math Department) said.

What makes advice like this great is its coming from someone who personally knows exactly what this school is like, and may know more than other parents. However others who don’t have parent teachers shouldn’t feel like it’s unfair for them, or should you? Is it easier to find out what your kids are doing school wise with work and what needs to be done?

“No! It should be. But I am so concerned with other people’s children that I forget about them! In fact, Ellen Shortridge (12)  has been in the same classes that I am teaching for three years, not with me as the teacher, but the same course. I send emails and emails to parents about novels that student’s need, and I never remember to get the book for her!!!!  I am a typical parent, I forget to check grades until too late, then email her teachers in a panic! I say this many times during the day: I am going to be a better mother someday!” Valerie Schroll (English Department) said.

When asked there was a great sense of joy from the parent side about having their children here in Lindbergh. They can see their children everyday in class or the halls. The other way around was the same it’s nice to stop by their parents room for a talk, a snack if they’re hungry, or just to destress.