PBL Classrooms

LHS Juniors review their assignment in Mrs. Schroll’s 7th hour PBL class.

Halle Frisella, Writer

The English 3 PBL class has grown in popularity at Lindbergh High School. When the English department decided to implement this new approach of teaching, they started with only 3 sections of the class, now they have expanded to 7 sections over the last 4 years, and has spread to other departments, such as some Social Studies classes. It is safe to say that Lindbergh loves this new way of learning. The project based learning style of teaching is fairly new to the world of curriculum, so going into this different style of class many students do not know exactly what they’re signed up for.

“A PBL class is based more on project based or problem based learning, so it’s more of giving you a problem and asking you to solve it in some way shape or form. Also I’d say, instead of having to stick to the chronological American Lit curriculum, we actually get to allow for more student choice and student voice, so they’re still doing the same skills, but students are doing them in different ways, ways in which hopefully they would incorporate into their real lives versus always through a literature realm,” Valerie Schroll (English Department) said.

Not only is the curriculum different, but the setup of the teacher’s classrooms also are to help compliment each other. These classrooms are described as dynamic classrooms, so each student can find an environment in which they can succeed. These classrooms do not only make students feel more comfortable in the learning process, but also more comfortable in general.

“I think the benefits of having a dynamic classroom are that every kind of learner can find a space they can be productive in, so if you have me during 7th hour and you’ve been sitting in a tiny desk all day you have the freedom to stand up so that you can focus a little bit more. Likewise, say that you want something more comfortable or laid back while you focus, we have game chairs, we have things if you are a fidgeter, if you’re having an anxious day, things like that. So when you come in the room, you can find a space that’s going to fit well for you so that you can focus on the task at hand which is whatever kind of learning we’re doing that day,” Katherine Johnson (English Department) said.

Lindbergh students are responding well to the different style of classroom, so more and more teachers are starting to incorporate elements into their own classrooms, not just the PBL teachers. This flexible learning environment has spread to the rest of the english department, some social studies classrooms, and even many math classrooms. Some of these rooms include: High Top desks, normal desks, bean-bag chairs, gaming chairs, yoga balls, and couches. Many teachers also decided to incorporate items that help students focus more, such as fidget cubes, fidget spinners, “thinking putty”, and stress balls. All of these changes and new concepts were embedded into the Lindbergh community to help students find what kind of learning and what environment for learning is best for them and the results are promising.

e