The NFL… do students still follow it?

Todd Gurley scoring a touchdown in a game. Gurley is a member of the Los Angeles Rams, the NFL team was formerly the home team for students native to LHS.

Miles Sauer, Writer

Since the departure of the Rams from the St. Louis area, the NFL seems to have been less prevalent in Missouri. This also appears to have been the case for the LHS district’s viewership of the league. This year marks the third season since the departure of Rams, and the 99th season of the NFL.

In fact, the viewership for the NFL as a whole has gone down in recent times. It is believed that less people have been watching as of the result of controversy within the league. Do the fans that still watch here in St. Louis root for our former team?

Jackson Ruthenburg (12) is an avid watcher of sports and is a big follower of the NFL, as well as other sports on TV.  He is quite well-versed in the sport.

“I watch football every Sunday and whenever I can find it on cable, I also check the stats and such online,” Ruthenburg said.

When asked about which organizations he was the biggest fan of, it ended up being a tie between two for him.

“In terms of favorite teams it has to be between the Rams and Packers, And yes, I got into the Rams when they were back in St. Louis,” Ruthenburg said.

Both teams have also started this year with decent track records. The Rams with three wins with no losses and the Packers with a win, a loss, and a tie. Ruthenburg was quite specific in his reasonings for liking these two teams.

“ I like the Rams because of their creativity on offense. Their ability to get the ball and their interceptions and the plays they make are very unique. The main reason I’m a fan of the Packers is because of Aaron Rodgers and his ability to pull through for his team and help them get the win,” Ruthenburg said.      

Jerry Heuer (12), another student here at LHS, has had his own experiences with the NFL. While he isn’t a huge fan, he used to watch some football when Missouri had a team.

“I used to watch the Rams more often when they were in town, especially when my dad had the games on,” Heuer said.

Nowadays, football isn’t that important to Heuer. He lost the interest he had for the sport.

“ No I’m not really a fan anymore. I only watch the superbowl now, that’s about it,” Heuer said.

With the many different types of of people around campus, football is still an interest for some and not so much of one for others. Overall, the student body still has some who are still interested in football, as well as our former team, the Rams. Meanwhile the following of the sport has fallen off for other students since the vacancy of a team here in Missouri.