Board Games at LHS

It appears as though while board games still hold a special place in students heart. Their prominence in LHS seems to have diminished.

Miles Sauer, Staff Writer

Board games have long been an integral part of many student’s childhood, as well as evocation of the competitive spirit many have to beat their family and friends in an all out relationship-ending brawl. But with video games and other popular games and media on the rise nowadays, do students still enjoy them?

172 students were polled out of a school-wide survey conducted to find these answers within the student body. Of all the games listed, Monopoly was the most played game with 85% of participants playing it before. Monopoly was followed closely by two other games with 83% playing both Connect Four and Battleship.

However, Clue was the favorite game of most students, even with only 53% having played it before. Clue was followed by the Game of Life with only 68% of participants having played it, but with the second highest amount of votes.

When it came to the level of nostalgia students felt towards board games with 1 being the highest and 5 being the lowest, the majority answered mainly two’s and three’s with both of these accounting for about 60% of the vote in total. Audrey Stansfield, a junior here at LHS gave output on her experience with board games.

“I played Monopoly, Sorry, and the Game of Life as a kid. Game of Life was always my favorite. I still play board games with my family from time to time. Unfortunately, it seems as if board games have fallen off in recent years,” Stansfield said.

When asking her about her experiences and ability when playing, Stansfield had this to say.

“ In terms of skill when playing I’d rate myself a 7 out of 10. I normally win when my family doesn’t team. I’ve honestly rage-quit before as a result of them teaming against me. My sister also has rage-quit because she thought I was cheating. I wasn’t of course,” Stansfield said.

Ricardo Sholy, another junior here at LHS, had his own insight into board games nowadays.  

”Whenever I play risk with my buddies, there are always those games where your two friends team up against you. We’ve all done it to each other, and most of the time it ends with one of us walking away. It seems that board games have fallen off. Of course I don’t play as much nowadays either but that only because no new original board games come out. The originals still hold their worth though,” Sholy said.

(Poll results showing what percentage of LHS students have played which popular games. 172 students participated in this poll)