Death of Harambe Shakes Lindbergh High School

Photo+of+Harambe+and+the+boy+holding+hands+during+gorilla%E2%80%99s+shocking+last+moments.+He+didn%E2%80%99t+know+that+his+next+actions+would+cost+him+his+life.+Photo+credit%3A+www.dailymail.co.uk++
Photo of Harambe and the boy holding hands during gorilla’s shocking last moments. He didn’t know that his next actions would cost him his life. Photo credit: www.dailymail.co.uk

Nick Tzianos, Writer

On May 28 in Cincinnati, Ohio, Harambe the gorilla was shot and killed at the Cincinnati Zoo after a three-year-old boy fell 15 feet into the ape habitat and was curiously investigated by the Western Lowland gorilla.

Harambe dragged the boy across the moat of the habitat and was then shot by a zoo official in order to prevent any harm to the child.

This event polarized many; from animal rights activists to concerned and sympathetic parents. Many students and teachers at LHS also held strong opinions. Soon after the death of Harambe, publicity of this occurrence quickly spread and the reaction went viral. Five months have passed and people are still expressing their feelings towards the incident.

Recently at LHS, sales of Harambe bracelets have started at lunches so students could show their support and express their feelings towards the incident. One of the head salesmen behind the operation, Jean-Luc Decoster (12) weighed in on the event.

“Harambe still lives in the hearts of all of us to this day,” Decoster said.

Other students like Ashley Gang (10) have different views about how the events were handled.

“I felt that it was unfair to the gorilla because it was not the gorilla’s fault, but the mother’s fault because she is irresponsible,” Gang said.

Animal rights supporters are not only upset about what took place, but also hold the mother accountable for not watching her kid as he fell into the enclosure. They argue that had she kept an eye on the child, this mishap would have never happened.

“The mother in my opinion would be the most to blame. She’s responsible for her kid’s well-being at the zoo. She probably shouldn’t just let her kid run off into the gorilla pit, so if mom was paying a little bit more attention, maybe Harambe would still be with us today,” Grant Gaumer (Social Studies Department) said.

The students as well as the teachers all express strong feelings about the incident that left so many shocked and at a loss for words as this event took a toll on so many.

1 Comment

One Response to “Death of Harambe Shakes Lindbergh High School”

1. Emma Bennett on October 7th, 2016 11:44 AM

Harambe is a god

[Reply]

• Death of Harambe Shakes Lindbergh High School

Lindbergh Hockey Breakdown

Humans of LHS

Scary-Good Halloween Recipes

Gossip at the Watering Bowl

Lindbergh’s Plan for Compensating Eric Greitens’ Cuts to Education Spending

They Killed Monsters, Will They Kill State?

Path to the Next Four Years

Artwork Spreads Positivity

Blues Return to Ice