Top YouTuber Hits Rock Bottom

Internet Sensation, Logan Paul, faces criticism for a recent vlog he posted that displayed a man who had commit suicide.

The original* thumbnail from Paul's video before he removed it.
*We added the censor bar over the deceased man.

The original* thumbnail from Paul's video before he removed it. *We added the censor bar over the deceased man.

Sydney Marino, Staff Writer

Trigger Warning: Suicide
If you are struggling with suicidal thoughts or ideations, please contact the suicide hotline at 1-800-273-8255 or [students can] utilize the Lindbergh High School guidance office in the main building.

Around two weeks ago, Logan Paul, a vlogger who gained popularity on Vine, posted a video set in Japan’s infamous Aokigahara Forest; a place where many Japanese citizens commit suicide every year. The vlog begins with Paul and three of his friends discussing their intentions for visiting the forest as solely for entertainment purposes, since he strived to post everyday. But as the video showed Paul and friends hiking through the forest, they came across a hanging corpse.

Instead of stopping the filming and contacting the police, Paul proceeded to walk up to the corpse and talk, then laugh about the situation. Even though Paul tried to discuss the severity of the situation, his multiple close-up shots of the body, as well as humorous take on the situation, sparked the immense amount of outrage he would soon face. On top of Paul’s outrageous behavior, he neglected to fully censor out the body during the video-editing process. Paul also used a “clickbait” thumbnail and title. YouTubers use “clickbait” to catch people’s attention and attract more views or “clicks”.

After uploading the video for his over ten-million subscribers to see, viewers outside of Paul’s fanbase exploded in rage at his lack of consideration for posting such a video without consideration for those suffering from mental health or for the man in the video. This video shocked and upset many students at Lindbergh.

“Suicide is a serious and very sensitive topic, and Logan Paul’s video took the topic and turned it into a joke by being extremely disrespectful and inconsiderate,” Caroline McLeod (12) said.

Although Paul tried to make-up for his actions by quickly deleting the video, tweeting an apology and posting an apology video in an attempt to halt the backlash critics were sending his was, his actions weren’t enough. After a petition requesting that YouTube remove Paul from their platform gained over 100,000 signatures made its way into the media’s eye, YouTube posted a video undermining Paul’s. YouTube then proceeded to removed him from the platform’s Google Preferred Ad Program, as well as suspending his YouTube Red projects.

Paul had millions of followers and a movie project in the works, but now faces consequences for his negligent actions. According to millions of people, as well as several Lindbergh students, YouTube made the right call and should even go as far as removing Paul completely.

“Paul’s actions were reckless and upsetting to many people, especially those who are affected by mental health. He fully deserves to be permanently dropped from YouTube, and even though he issued multiple apologies, they don’t begin to account for his carelessness,” Libby Dorsey (12) said.