iPhone 6S Review

iPhone 6S Review

Credits Footage used: Apple - September Event 2015 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qwALOOvUik) Unbox Therapy - iPhone 6S Plus Bend Test (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjiuf5ftIPY) Unbox Therapy - iPhone 6 Plus: The Bend Uncut (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3Ds6uf0Yg) Music used: Jasmine (Demo) - Jai Paul

Back to Article
Back to Article

iPhone 6S Review

Colin Shepherd, Staff Writer

iPhone 6S review: The best iPhone yet

Apple has been incredibly successful with its iPhone line, becoming so ubiquitous that a large portion of the Lindbergh student body all use iPhones. The last few updates to the iPhone have been largely incremental. The 5 had a taller screen, the 5S had a fingerprint sensor, and the 6 had a slightly larger screen. The 6S, however is one of the biggest changes in the history of the iPhone.

With every generation there have been processor speed boosts and camera quality increases, both of which have been improved massively in the 6S. The new A9 processor has a 70% faster processor over the 6, giving the phone overall faster speeds and reducing stuttering, and a 90% faster GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) which improves gaming performance greatly.

Also faster is the fingerprint sensor. TouchID is much faster on the 6S than the 5S or 6, requiring only a tap to the home button to unlock the phone. This is a massive improvement over previous generations, which required holding a finger on the sensor, and if the finger was damp or the sensor was dirty, TouchID would refuse to work. The 6S, however works in all of those situations nearly flawlessly, with almost most users reporting flawless fingerprint recognition.

The phone is also slightly thicker, heavier, and wider than last year’s iPhone 6. The weight difference is immediately noticeable upon picking it up for the first time, but when using it for an extended period the difference fades and the extra weight keeps the phone better planted in the hand, fixing the common problem of the iPhone 6 flying out of user’s grips.

Due to last year’s ‘Bendgate’ controversy in which people found their iPhones to be bent after minimal use, this year Apple made the chassis out of 7000 series aerospace-grade aluminum and increased internal stability, making the phone feel much less like a flimsy, hollow, slippery piece of metal that wants desperately to be dropped.

The increased stability of the phone harmonizes well with what is perhaps the most obvious new feature of the phone, 3D Touch. On the new phone users can actually press into the pressure-sensitive screen, giving the user additional interactions with certain interface objects, similar to a right click. At first glance, 3D touch may seem like a gimmick designed to sell more phones, but upon further use, the feature speeds up many interactions with the phone.

3D touching gives users the ability to view Live Photos: a new camera feature Apple created to let users see a few seconds of video before and after a photo is taken. Users can turn the feature on and off, but it can be useful if users want to see what happened surrounding a favorite picture.

The rear camera has also finally been increased to a 12 megapixel sensor in place of the 8 megapixel sensor that has been a staple of iPhones for years. The issue with the camera, though, is that the old cameras were so fantastic that the new one looks marginally better when used normally. After zooming in, users can see that the crispness of images is much improved and much more detail is captured. On the 6S, the camera is capable of recording in 4K, or Ultra HD, but without the optical image stabilization of the 6S Plus the video can be extremely shaky.
The persisting question is: Is the iPhone 6S worth buying? The answer is the same as with previous generations. To an owner of an iPhone 6, the new features don’t affect everyday usage enough to warrant the purchase of a new phone, but it is definitely worth buying to replace an iPhone 5S. The better build quality, increased performance, larger and pressure sensitive screen, and massively improved camera make the iPhone 6S an obvious purchase to anybody owning an iPhone 5S or below.