“Tell Me I’m Pretty” by Cage the Elephant Review

John Romer, Staff Writer

The Black Keys frontman produces newest album from Cage the Elephant

Many albums lyrically follow the same basic format of telling a story. Cage the Elephant’s lead singer Matt Shultz follows this script, inserting a twisted tale of love. He recreates this story over a course of 10 songs that feel like rock n’ roll throwback that completely satisfies the need to groove. It immediately pulls the listener in through the pulsing rhythm of pure 70’s or 80’s retro beat.

The first noticeable song is the album’s second recording, “Mess Around”, which shows how much more melody has been incorporated into their new style. This makes many of the recordings feel more mainstream or likely to play on modern day radio. Unlike their past records, which gave them the title of “garage rockers”, their new album has a stronger blues undertone in many of the songs while still remaining reminiscent of their roots as low-quality, gritty rock. This creates a problem with some fans of previous albums.

“It was so mediocrely average it was forgettable, but it was not bad,” Phillip Nauman (11)said.

While people miss their old sound, the new sound is a welcome change. More people nowadays prefer songs that can be easily remembered by their repetitive melodies which this album contains more of. Songs are placed in an order throughout the album to give some slack to broader audience and then reel them back in with a generic, funky rock radio hit.

“I think they’re trying to expand to a wider audience,” Peter Kastaris< (12) said.          For the listener who wants to dedicate themselves to the task of finishing the entire album there is a vast well of surprises. Hints of ear candy can be found in the most unexpected places, such as the occasional guitar solo where the angst of struggle against a significant other is so perfectly summarized. The constant tap of a snare or cymbal with the persistent bass drum pounding sounds more full and satisfying than past recordings. While this is an improvement, their music is fairly forgettable,with one or two songs being a catchy summer tune. Overall it was enjoyable, but not thoroughly consistent throughout. Bearing that in mind, it will probably just be an album that will be good for a listen or two but then will most likely just fade away.

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯ – 7 out of 10 stars

Album cover is an actual photograph, instead of typical abstract painting from the band’s previous albums.