The Struggles With Braces

Ally Hilmes, Staff Writer

7 Reasons Why Having Braces is Actually the Worst Thing Ever

Rubber Bands. RUBBER BANDS EVERYWHERE.

Getting Mistaken for Being Younger Than You Actually Are

I already have a petite frame and the maturity of a ten-year-old, so the fact that i have braces doesn’t really add up to the fact that I’m nearly 16 years old. Literally a majority of the people I know have had braces when they were in elementary school and maybe even a bit throughout middle school.

Having Appointments During School

Most students, especially high schoolers, don’t necessarily hate having appointments during the school  day. Everybody loves to take breaks from being in the stressful environment. In my opinion though, I absolutely despise missing time in school because making up work sucks, especially if you have no idea what you’re doing. And usually appointments begin in the morning so that means you probably don’t bet back to school til lunch and then have to suffer through tight braces for the rest of the day.

Not Wanting to Complain About How Much They Hurt

Of course, high schoolers are known for being over dramatic, and the last thing they want is to be judged for their over-dramatic-ness . Besides, even when you do complain, people that have never experienced the pain of having braces will probably just laugh at you. But they do hurt. There’s nothing more painful than poked out wires stabbing the inside of your mouth to the point where you’re excessively bleeding. So the next time you sadists laugh at more pain I will not be happy.

Fear of…PDA?

There’s nothing more terrifying than the idea of getting your braces caught in your significant other’s mouth. It’s especially hard for some people to avoid kissing because of their raging testosterone or estrogen or whatever.  

RUBBER BANDS (aka Satan)

Teenagers are known for being lazy. I don’t know why our orthodontists expect us to take out our rubber bands when we’re eating and then put them back in when we’re done. Why would anyone want to get up and walk all the way to the bathroom or mirror just so they might get perfect teeth? It’s totally not worth it. But it appears that I’m probably the only one who feels this way. Aggie Lipinski (10) was apparently some perfect angel and would always follow her orthodontist’s orders before she got her braces removed.

“I didn’t think that wearing rubber bands was a big deal. I wore them literally 24/7

so I didn’t have to deal with them for too long. My friends on the other hand were not very good at wearing their rubber bands” Lipinski said.

The Struggle of Selfie Taking

Teenagers are known for being self-obsessed piles of insecurity. With social media sites such as Instagram and Snapchat, it’s nearly impossible for people to not know about your braces, since selfies are so common these days. Everyone gets sick of your only pictures being duck lips and saddish half-smiles because you refuse to let people know your true brace-faced identity. Eventually you have to take a selfie with a flashing smile that glares the camera and completely ruins the camera.

Banned Foods

Let’s be real. Nobody actually follows the rules the orthodontist expects you to enforce. Like who do they think they are to tell me what I can and can’t eat? Popcorn is good, and carmel is great, but caramel popcorn is LIFE-CHANGING. I don’t care if it’s “banned” because I’m still gonna eat it. It seems that I’m not the only one.

“I probably break the banned food list nearly everyday and so does everyone else I know that also has braces” Ricky Spaeth (12) said.