A Review of the 2016 MTV VMAs

Photo of Beyonce during her breathtaking performance on stage at Madison Square Garden. She stole the show and blew the socks off of everyone in the audience. Photo credit: newstoday.com

Nick Tzianos, Staff Writer

On 28 August in Madison Square Garden, the MTV 2016 Video Music Awards took place, featuring some of the best musical talents from around the world and their works of art. Like many VMAs in the past, this one will be hard to forget about as it featured some very bizarre videos and performances. This VMAs started out as a blank canvas for every musician to paint on and that may or may not have been a good thing. Looking at aspects in particular like Kanye West’s brand new music video “Fade” and Beyonce’s breathtaking performance of “Lemonade,” it’s time to dive right into what made this 2016 Video Music Awards unique.

Looking at the VMAs as a whole, the show seemed to heavily focus on a select and specific group of people throughout the night. These included artists like Beyonce, Kanye West, Drake, Rihanna, and Britney Spears. Although most people like seeing these artists perform,  Ben Martin (12) expressed his concerns on the lack of genre diversity.

“I think the VMAs were stupid to be honest. They only focused on like 5 people the entire time. Where’s the rock and the country?” Martin said.

Along with only including a certain group of people, some of the celebrities who made an appearance were not so favored among the students at Lindbergh. At one point in the show, Kanye West came on the stage, delivered an inspirational speech, and presented his very strange new music video for his song “Fade.”

Shannon MacDonald (10) gave his input on Kanye West that night.

“I don’t like Kanye West. His clothes on top of his dancing are just horrible,” MacDonald said.

Kanye West really added to the mixing pot of odd aspects that were thrown into the making of that show. Although the 2016 VMAs were considerably a train wreck, Beyonce’s performance that night was enough to make the whole nation tear up. Upon asking Brandon Murray (English Department) what he thought of that night, he responded with this:

For most people who watched the VMAs this year, witnessing Beyonce’s performance was enough to save the night. On a final note, Murray finished with this question.

“Who knew that MTV was still a thing?” Murray said.

7 Comments

7 Responses to “A Review of the 2016 MTV VMAs”

1. jessicak on September 8th, 2016 11:16 AM

Truly a work of art. Thank you for your submission.

[Reply]

2. Matthew on September 9th, 2016 8:59 PM

Thankfully, someone has made the obvious editorial decision to remove Murray’s original quote stating that watching Beyonce’s performance was comparable to “seeing the face of God.” Society, particularly our youth, has an unhealthy obsession with this vulgar pop artist. Beyonce, a woman who Michelle Obama claims is a “role model” to her children, litters her songs with tasteless lyrics. “Queen Bee’s” music video and her Superbowl halftime performance of “Formation” blatantly displayed anti-police sentiments. Beyonce makes a living on dressing suggestively and teaching youth, and especially young women, to engage in indecency, infidelity, and immorality. Our society’s obsessive, idolizing love of Beyonce is a sign of where our world is going. To simply enjoy Beyonce’s music is a matter of personal taste, but to DEIFY this woman is downright inappropriate and wrong.

[Reply]

Beyonce Reply:

Although I enjoyed reading your novel, I do wish to remind you that I am the most nominated woman in Gammy history. What do you have that I don’t have? A teacher salary? You think that because you’re an old man, you can trash me and Mr Murray. Me and Mur-dog go way back. I am a legend among artists.

[Reply]

Cooper Reply:

To all who read the indictment of B to be found above, it was not composed by ME! This is Matthew Cooper, (LHS teacher). And yes I have written a novel, and yes, I’m quite pleased to read that someone “enjoyed” it. Thank you very much.

But I’m genuinely alarmed that anyone could possibly imagine I would pen that sort of right-wing . . . Okay. This is a family/school site. So I can’t really speak my mind.

If the idea was that Cooper might have adopted an oh-so predictable right-wing persona, only in order to mock it, fair enough. But that’s not the case. Please never again associate me with any writing that includes the words “indecency, infidelity, and immorality.”)

Cheers!

[Reply]

Matthew Reply:

Well, Matthew Cooper, this is Matthew Meyer, LHS student and the one who did pen that sort of right-wing… Whatever you meant to say.

You’re right, this is a school and family website. That’s precisely why I couldn’t post any examples of Beyonce’s lyrics as evidence! But don’t let that stop you from speaking your mind. After all, you’ve already started.

So, I’m curious, what do you find to be wrong with my word choice? And perhaps more importantly, how exactly would you go about mocking my conservative, “right-wing” ideology?

3. Cooper on September 16th, 2016 6:11 AM

Hi again! In the midst of my routine tech check early on this Friday morning (email, FB messages, and so forth), so I thought I’d wander over here to the “LookUp” to see if Murray had loudly denounced the censorship of his “eyes of God” remark.

Bupkis. Where’s the outrage, Mr. M?

(Also, apologies for the comma typo above. Someone on the LookUp staff: get on that, willya please?)

[Reply]

4. Madison Pregon on October 18th, 2016 12:23 PM

this is crazy

[Reply]

Summer Scenes to Attend!

• A Review of the 2016 MTV VMAs

• A Review of the 2016 MTV VMAs

• A Review of the 2016 MTV VMAs

• A Review of the 2016 MTV VMAs

• A Review of the 2016 MTV VMAs

• A Review of the 2016 MTV VMAs

• A Review of the 2016 MTV VMAs

Scary-Good Halloween Recipes

• A Review of the 2016 MTV VMAs

Gossip at the Watering Bowl

• A Review of the 2016 MTV VMAs

Lindbergh’s Plan for Compensating Eric Greitens’ Cuts to Education Spending

A Review of the 2016 MTV VMAs