A Review of the 2016 MTV VMAs

Photo of Beyonce during her breathtaking performance on stage at Madison Square Garden. She stole the show and blew the socks off of everyone in the audience. Photo credit: newstoday.com

Nick Tzianos, Staff Writer

On 28 August in Madison Square Garden, the MTV 2016 Video Music Awards took place, featuring some of the best musical talents from around the world and their works of art. Like many VMAs in the past, this one will be hard to forget about as it featured some very bizarre videos and performances. This VMAs started out as a blank canvas for every musician to paint on and that may or may not have been a good thing. Looking at aspects in particular like Kanye West’s brand new music video “Fade” and Beyonce’s breathtaking performance of “Lemonade,” it’s time to dive right into what made this 2016 Video Music Awards unique.

Looking at the VMAs as a whole, the show seemed to heavily focus on a select and specific group of people throughout the night. These included artists like Beyonce, Kanye West, Drake, Rihanna, and Britney Spears. Although most people like seeing these artists perform,  Ben Martin (12) expressed his concerns on the lack of genre diversity.

“I think the VMAs were stupid to be honest. They only focused on like 5 people the entire time. Where’s the rock and the country?” Martin said.

Along with only including a certain group of people, some of the celebrities who made an appearance were not so favored among the students at Lindbergh. At one point in the show, Kanye West came on the stage, delivered an inspirational speech, and presented his very strange new music video for his song “Fade.”

Shannon MacDonald (10) gave his input on Kanye West that night.

“I don’t like Kanye West. His clothes on top of his dancing are just horrible,” MacDonald said.

Kanye West really added to the mixing pot of odd aspects that were thrown into the making of that show. Although the 2016 VMAs were considerably a train wreck, Beyonce’s performance that night was enough to make the whole nation tear up. Upon asking Brandon Murray (English Department) what he thought of that night, he responded with this:

For most people who watched the VMAs this year, witnessing Beyonce’s performance was enough to save the night. On a final note, Murray finished with this question.

“Who knew that MTV was still a thing?” Murray said.