Parking Problems Persist

LHS parking lot continues to fluster students

Brooke Richeson, Staff Writer

Parking spots at LHS are very limited and many students pray to earn a coveted space. Out of all the seniors hoping to get a spot this year there were only 40 spots remaining for the rest of the student population. After all seniors that want a spot receive their pass, juniors will get one based on grade point average. So throughout sophomore year, it is important for students to maintain their GPA because next year it will determine if they will get a parking pass. Susan Merz (10th grade Administrative Assistant), who distributes parking spots, talked about process of spot selection.

“For juniors it is all based on accumulative GPA,” Merz said.

Because of lack of spots, many students noticed that South Tech students got spots too, and some had lower GPAs than students that did not receive spots that only attend Lindbergh.

“All juniors, not just Tech students, can take the bus, but not all South County Tech students get spots, they also go by GPA. We have a smaller amount of spots for Tech students and a waiting list for them as well,” Merz said.

Many students who have a high GPA and are involved need a spot too and we’re hoping to get one. Ellie Marchi (11) told us about how she was disappointed when she was 2nd on the waiting list for a pass.

“I am apart of STUCO and I have to stay after school and go in early to help set up for events going on in school. I also play soccer and need my soccer bag for practice and games and don’t want to carry it around all the time. My parents constantly have to run me around, while they have other kids and have to work,” Marchi said.

Marchi had a lot of confidence about getting a spot, however she was one of many juniors to not receive one.

“I thought I would get one because I have a good GPA, and worked really hard to keep it up. And I figured that the more things I was involved in at school would help my chance to get a spot,” Marchi said.

On a positive side, in upcoming years more spots will be available because of the administrative office move.