Odd One Out

Students defy gender roles through the classes they take

Danielle+Bickel+%2812%29+lifts+weight+in+her+weight+training+class.+Despite+being+surrounded+by+boys%2C+she+still+has+an+awesome+time.+Photo+credit%3A+Kelsey+Foster+
Danielle Bickel (12) lifts weight in her weight training class. Despite being surrounded by boys, she still has an awesome time. Photo credit: Kelsey Foster

Kelsey Foster, Staff Writer

Walking into a class only to find out almost all of the classmates are the opposite sex can be overwhelming. Most students assume if they see a class with mainly one gender present that it is only meant for one sex. But this is not true! Students struggle with conquering the fear of being judged as the odd one out. But as growing individuals, it is important to learn how to jump out of our comfort zone in order to make ourselves happy.

Here at LHS, more girls are stepping up to take weight training classes. Despite being filled in a room full of testosterone-filled, sweaty boys, these girls loved the class and were glad they took a shot at something new.

Danielle Bickel (12) took weight training for her own benefit. As a competitive swimmer, she wanted a class that could tone her body for improvement.

“At first I was intimidated because their was only like two girls in my class and like 30 boys. But I knew most of the boys anyway and they were all supportive of me. If the class benefits you then just do it, don’t care about what people think,” Bickel said.

Also, at Lindbergh, there is a class called Relationships and let’s just say it gets pretty emotional sometimes. Girls often take this class for relationship advice and how to deal with feelings.

Almedin Ibisevic (12) took relationships to learn about teenage love and how to handle feelings in a healthy way. He feels like this class has really helped him and hasn’t been weirded out that he is one of out four boys in the class.

“I honestly couldn’t care less what gender is in the classroom with me. My advice to LHS students is if a class interests you just take the class. You’ll gain more than you’ll lose,” Ibisevic said.

If you are hesitant about taking a class because the other sex intimidates you or you feel like you will be bullied, it will be okay. We have an awesome student body here at Lindbergh and students shouldn’t feel threatened or humiliated to take a class that interest them. Try something new and step out of your comfort zone. You never know what good might come out of it.