The Good Place Review

Image credit: nbc.com

Image credit: nbc.com

Image credit: nbc.com

Ben Rivers, Staff Writer

As summer comes to a close and the leaves begin to change color and fall from their branches, we say goodbye to staying out all day in the sun and hello to coming inside a bit early. Some may miss being out too late hours of the evening, saying “what am i going to do now? There’s nothing to do at home!” not to worry, because this change in season also brings a hit new show, The Good Place,  to keep you entertained.

The Good Place, on NBC at 7:00 on thursdays, takes place in the “good place”, as contrasted by “the bad place”, of the afterlife, where Elinor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell) has mistakenly been placed. After this discovery, she struggles with the help of her soulmate Chidi Anagonye (William Harper), to change for the better so she can stay, rightfully, in the good place.

To date, The good place has put out three episodes. While some may say that it’s not enough to judge a show on I can already say I’m hooked. This fresh and original show presents viewers with something they haven’t seen before. It is delightfully funny and surprisingly relatable. As the show jumps from our lead character’s current issue, which she seems to have a lot of, to flashbacks of her old life which relate to her current ethical dilemma. Alongside Bell is Harper’s character, who strives to teach Elinor how to be a good person while confronting the fact that his life’s work is worthless. His meek yet wise nature clashes nicely with elinor’s more brash and almost selfish personality. Elinor’s past and current bad habits quickly cause the town to fall apart.All the while the architect of this perfect community tries to find the cause of everything going wrong.

The one issue I see for the show is that every one of the main characters seems to have a problem to solve, which is ironic, considering they’re in paradise. While this seems to be the theme of the show, overcoming problems in a seemingly perfect world.

“I like the contradiction of problems in paradise, but it seems to be never ending. From minute one, everyone had something wrong and we never really got to see anyone enjoying this seemingly perfect world.” John Steinbrook (12) said.

Overall, while the humor is sometimes a bit dry, the show is definitely entertaining, and I would recommend it to anyone.