I’m More of a Chaser, Really: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Movie Review)

Ronnies 20 Cine

Ronnies 20 Cine

Miranda Grasso

Miranda Grasso

Ronnies 20 Cine

Miranda Grasso, Writer

Mary Lou

Are you a seeker? A seeker

after truth?

A beat.

Newt

I’m more of a chaser, really.

In the newly released film  Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, author JK Rowling whisks her audience back into the world of magic. Set in a 1920s New York, the film flashbacks to the starting point of the Hogwart’s textbook author, Newt Scamander, as he journeys from the European wizarding world to the American. Having barely arrived, Newt finds himself in trouble with the Macusa (Magical Congress) as he unleashes an expanse of extraordinary creatures upon the city. With the help of a few individuals, both wizard and muggle alike (or non magical folk), Newt sets in motion an even bigger plot full of deception and dark forces.

“I really liked the film as a whole. The only thing I didn’t quite enjoy was the change in cast from the past films as that was more so what I wanted. Having the same cast for so many movies over and over, but then an entire new group for Fantastic Beasts was kind of hard and not my favorite,” Tina Cejvanovic(12) said.

With him, Newt brings along an unusual briefcase where there is but an array of magical creatures from an adorable yet oddly annoying Niffler to a powerful and often triumphant Thunderbird. Rowling truly emphasizes the bright and wonderful life within Newt’s briefcase as such is directly contrasted with the bustling and dusk cityscape of New York.

“I honestly think they could have tied in the Harry Potter world and Hogwarts more so than they did. However, I really enjoyed all of the actors they used for the film, such as Johnny Depp and Eddie Redmayne as Newt,” Autumn Heaton (9) said.

Although connected to the Potter franchise at heart, viewers beware that Fantastic Beasts is a more grown up story than what has been known in the past. The film indeed showcases the fantasy of the wizarding world, but as well discusses a more harsh reality of abuse, neglect and the consequence of overwhelming power. With a few plot holes, plenty is left to be discovered in the to be five movie series.

“I really enjoyed Fantastic Beasts and I thought it was an amazing continuation of the series. I was initially worried with Fantastic Beasts as my expectations had not been exceeded with The Cursed Child novel, but the movie and its aesthetics were just beautiful. The script was definitely well written and amazingly acted. I loved it,” Lelah Schneider (11) said.

The film breathes new life into the beloved Harry Potter franchise as it builds upon a world other than Harry’s. With director David Yates and musician James Newton Howard, the film possesses a quality that will ultimately leave an audience spellbound.