It’s Classy to Cover Up

Brooke Richeson, Staff Writer

I know what you’re thinking, anyone who supports the dress code is a weirdo, but when walking down the halls of LHS, many times you will see something unpleasant, a girl wearing a crop top that shows off her whole stomach or a guy with a t-shirt promoting alcohol, that’s something everyone wants to see. Am I right???
At LHS, peers have been wearing shorts that show more rear end then anyone should have to see, shirts that cut way too low, t-shirts that have inappropriate images or language and clothes that many people do not enjoy seeing.
Here’s a novel thought: students actually wear clothes that fit them properly and leave some things to the ummm, imagination? We are old enough to realize what’s school appropriate and what is not, what is decent and what is not and what makes us look, for lack of a better word, tacky.
Also, think about the freshman who still believe the opposite gender have cooties, they do not want to see that either.
School is a learning environment and by fellow classmates pushing the dress code norms, it is easy for other students to get distracted by what their peers are wearing. When these high schoolers are disciplined for dress code infractions, it takes time out of our teacher’s day to confront these students, enforce these rules and find new clothes that are a bit more tasteful. Students should already know, this is just a waste of time taken out of everyday.
The dress code at LHS has always been in place, but this year the dress code was reestablished and reinforced more after a growing concern about what was growing more and more permissible.
“Many think the LHS dress code is just at the high school, however it is a district wide policy that was set by central office and a team of people on the discipline committee. They have stated that proper dress is appropriate, especially so students learn how to dress when they leave high school. Some kids are going into work, not college, and need to learn there are rules,” Pam Mason (11th Grade Principal) said.
Many kids at LHS believe that the faculty is just dress coding these students because they want to, however, it is part of their job to help students and their main goal is to prepare them for real life.
“Most of the time kids understand, but sometimes we get the occasional students who get really disrespectful. We just have to enforce the dress code because we have a bosses too and we do not try to hurt kids feelings but we just are trying to teach kids to be more respectful,” Mason said.
So, next time in the morning when picking out your outfit for school, try something with no inappropriate language or images, something that not too short or too small, and most of all something that you could wear to a job. I guarantee if you could not wear it there, you should not be wearing it at school, a place where students should be focused on learning and not focused on someone else’s outfit.
Flyers: it’s time to draw the line between our going out for a night on the town clothes from your responsible and respectful going to school outfits.