Oh, Brother

The+Droege+siblings+represent+their+Alma+Mater.+
The Droege siblings represent their Alma Mater.

Camryn Kopp, Senior Writer

Siblings Weigh In About Sharing Work and School Space

Every student will eventually make it to the big, intimidating world of high school. During the four year whirlwind of classes, sports games, clubs, and dances, many teens here at Lindbergh will find themselves stumbling across the same people they see at home: their siblings.

Whether in a family room or classroom, having siblings constantly around can be both a blessing and a curse. For Anna Stimac (12), having her freshman sister, Ellen, at the same school just means more quality time together.

“I feel like we have bonded and gotten a lot closer because now we drive to school together. We also go to Winningham’s class in the morning so we get to converse even more there,” Stimac said.

Stimac is not the only one who enjoys sharing a school with a sibling. Freshmen can learn a great deal of tips and tricks about high school from their wise and experienced senior relatives. Steven Mullins (9) is adapting well to high school thanks to his experienced senior brother, Mike.

“I realized my brother can help me a lot more with my classes because he understands the teachers and knows how they react to different things,” Mullins said.

Some upperclassmen have even gone the extra mile when it comes to helping their younger brothers and sisters adjust to the craziness of high school. By involving them in the many extracurriculars at Lindbergh, new freshman will adapt quicker to being inside the high school’s walls.

“Mike and I do marching band together, and he is the one who got me into that,” Mullins said.

There are many connections beyond just freshman and senior siblings. A few lucky students have brothers or sisters in the same grade as them, and sometimes even the same classes. Twin sisters Samantha Stoecklein (11) and Madison Stoecklein (11) do almost everything together, including playing volleyball for both Lindbergh and the same club team. Along with sports, they are lucky enough to be in several of the same classes.

“It is easy when we have a group project or other homework because we can always work on it together at home. I always know that I have someone I can ask for help from,” Madison said.

Despite all the benefits of having a very familiar face in the school hallway, sharing a learning environment with a relative is not great for everybody.

“One of the worst parts of having my brother at the same school is waiting for him in the car right after school ends, because I’m wanting to get out of the parking lot and he’s being slow,” Gus Ortwerth (12) said.

Even for students that can barely find any flaws in having another member of the family at school, some might still have a couple of worries. Stimac points out how many people assume that siblings are exactly alike just based on their last name.

“If she does something wrong, or vise versa, everyone’s like, “Oh, so you’re her sister,” Stimac said.

Students are not the only one who go through high school with their siblings by their sides. Rob Droege (Driver’s Education Instructor) and Stephanie Droege (Math Department) are just one instance of teachers at Lindbergh that also happen to be siblings.

Rob Droege cannot find any downsides to working with his sister, since they are close in more ways than one.

“I like always having somebody to talk to. If I am having an issue or problem like forgetting what the schedule is for the day, I can always ask her. I just always know there is someone who’s got my back. It is also nice when we have family events because it’s not like I have to call her, I can just run over and talk to her,” Droege said.

When they are not catching up or helping each other out with handling the hectic days, the two teachers also get a kick out of teasing and joking with each other.

“I always tell my kids that I’m the cute one, or I’m the smart one. We always make jokes and I know he says those things about me too. Some kids have both of us, so we’ll send funny messages back and forth,” Stephanie Droege said.

Having a brother or sister at the same school can often make high school more bearable for students. From joining clubs and sports to help with homework, there are many benefits to sharing a school with a sibling.

As Stimac recalls about her little sister, “I get to see a new part of her because we drive home together, so we get to talk about our days and I can actually relate to what she says,” Stimac said.

The Stroecklein twins congratulate each other during their volleyball game.