Netflix Obssessions

Mackenzie Huffman (11) watches Netflix in the middle of the school day.

Travis Patton

Travis Patton

Travis Patton, Staff Writer

Top Picks for LHS

Many students watch all of their television shows and movies on the the popular American entertainment service, Netflix. This company was actually founded twenty years ago in 1997 by Reed Hastings in California. The initial idea was to make a delivery service of all different content via mail. However when technology came into play, so did the option for online streaming.With their website and app began the start of access, through membership to loads of content right at someone’s fingertip.

Time Spent

“On average, I would say I watch about 3 and a half hours of Netflix per week, depending on how much free time I have,” Mackenzie Huffman (11) Said.

Represented in a graph, the biggest answer was that students generally watch anywhere from one to five hours a week. However, some said that they even spend over 10 to 15 hours.

Who has it?

Out of 235 responses, surveys show that 211 students use Netflix. This means that 88.8% of the school uses Netflix. On the other hand, 8.1% of students do not, and another 2.1 % use a different streaming service. When it comes to how people get Netflix only 13 percent of people actually pay to watch for themselves, and the other 87% have others that pay for a membership.

“I have Netflix, my Dad and I both chip in 4 dollars to pay for it,” Jessie Hensel (10) said.

Over the years since the service has gained high popularity, there has been so much added content, and there continues to be more uploaded every single month.

But what are people actually liking and wanting to watch? The biggest selected category were television shows
with comedies, and action/adventure coming in as the runner ups. This comes to no surprise because with shows comes the love of binge watching all episodes continuously.

New Content

What exactly are students watching? When asked what are some recent obsessions, there was an overwhelming response of the same few programs. The wildly popular Netflix Original Stranger Things easily made it’s way to the top of the list. With the show’s debut in July 2016, it quickly gained everyone’s attention and kept the viewers on edge for what was next. This past October saw the release of the show’s second season and proved there was still a lot more entertaining things to see.

“I did not get into Stranger Things until after season two came out, but when I started it, I finished season one in a day,” Jessica Quiroz (11) said.

2017 was also the debut year of Riverdale, a show based off of the classic Archie comic book characters. They’re are all twined into a darkness lurking in the shadows of a seemingly innocent small town. The first season that began airing this January is all available for streaming on Netflix mean while the second season is currently in the middle of airing on T.V. Eventually once finished it will be put onto Netflix.

“I just finished watching New Girl and I totally recommend it to everybody who just wants a laugh. However, I just watched the entire new season of Baby Daddy, and it has been an obsession of mine for a long time. It’s a really great show,” Huffman Said.

Throwbacks

High on the list of students recommended watches was Grey’s Anatomy ,which is still airing and continuing to be added onto Netflix once a new season has ended. The series follows fictional character Meredith Grey as she gets caught in drama and passion, with fellow doctors in a Seattle hospital. Audiences can also expect to see some occasional celebrity cameos such as Christina Ricci, Demi Lovato, and Sarah Paulson.

“I am mainly caught watching sitcoms like Friends, Parks and Rec, and The Office,” Hensel said.