Girls Field Hockey Update

Lindbergh’s newest sport impresses all with astonishing progress

The+JV+team+walks+off+the+field+after+defeating+the+Oakville+Tigers.+This+was+mid-season+and+they+have+continued+to+improve+since+then.+
The JV team walks off the field after defeating the Oakville Tigers. This was mid-season and they have continued to improve since then.

Sarah Pickel, Staff Writer

The Field Hockey program is in their second year here at Lindbergh and have really improved as the season has progressed. Currently the program has a JV and a V team and they are coached by Andrew Shipp (SSD) and Jackie Stevens (English Department). The current JV record is 8 wins, 6 losses, and 2 ties, with a few games left in the season to make that record even better.

“This year we have two teams, a JV and a C team. Our JV team is very competitive and at the end of our season they will be playing up in some varsity games. Our C team is the exact same way, they are playing a C team schedule, but this week and next week they are playing up in some JV games. Both teams have put in hard work at practice and have dedicated themselves to helping the program grow,” Stevens said.

All the girls have been working hard to improve, many of them had never played before the sport came to LHS. Having to learn not only the basic skills for the game, but also the numerous rules of the game, was a challenge that the Flyers quickly overcame.

“We stay focused and put forth 100% effort during every drill to make the best of the two hours of practice we have,” Molly Dirksen (11) said.

Practice is a place to work on those skills so that on the field, every movement and play feels natural. The field hockey girls have shown tremendous growth over last year and even more this year.

“We play like we practice, so all of the hard work from practice transfers to the field,” Dirksen said.

As the season goes on and continues to wind down, the field hockey girls will continue to work hard and improve.