An Update on the Los Angeles Rams: Catching Up With the Traitors on Their First Season Away

Picture from cbssports.com

Picture from cbssports.com

Picture from cbssports.com

Jake Wendel, Photo Editor

The National Football League’s claim that the Rams are “coming home” is just as crooked as Stan Kroenke himself. The entire migration operation back to Los Angeles was a conniving scam of the public. From dishonest, under-the table motivations for hiring Head Coach Jeff Fisher in 2012, to the purposeful throwing of games in an effort to relocate and leave the St. Louis faithful in the dust, the Rams were never truthful with their fans.

Fast forward to the team’s first season in California. Heading into December, the Los Angeles Rams currently hold a losing record of 4-7 in their first season “back home” (Even though Los Angeles is not their actual home because they were founded in Cleveland in 1937).

And what better time to write a review on the Rams than the day after they got romped on 49-21; crushed by the New Orleans Saints (who also have a losing record) by four whole touchdowns. First off, in their first game back under the Los Angeles title, the team failed to muster a single point on the board, getting shut out 28-0 by a struggling San Francisco team (San Francisco’s only win to date). Then, the Rams won their next three games behind backup quarterback Case Keenum. Now since the start of October, the Rams have lost six of their last seven games, and are on track to end their season with a worse record than they had in 2015 (7-9), when they were still in St. Louis.

The Rams’ move to Los Angeles could not have been more exaggerated, inaccurate and blown out of proportion and that it was exactly what owner Stan Kroenke wanted. Kroenke wanted Hollywood level attention, and as a result he let the quality of the team’s football suffer. Once the move was finalized and the organization donned the new Los Angeles tag, they sacrificed a handful of valuable draft picks to get the first overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft.
However, the Rams essentially threw away their costly pick by drafting quarterback Jared Goff number one overall. He was not the highest-rated player (or even quarterback) in the draft, when there was an abundance of quality quarterbacks in the draft, some higher than Goff. Even if a quarterback was a pressing enough issue to justify trading up to the first overall pick, an educated draft board would have drafted Carson Wentz over Jared Goff any day. In contrast, Wentz has now thrown for 11 touchdowns and well over 2,000 yards in his first ten games with the Eagles.

Along with passing up on Wentz, the Rams could have stayed with their original first round pick (15th overall), and still ended up with Dak Prescott, who has 18 touchdowns and 2,835 yards in his first 11 games with the Cowboys. Prescott was not drafted until the fourth round. Instead, the Rams drafted Goff and did not even play him for the first ten games of the season while the options they passed up on were setting rookie records for their franchises.

By trading up to acquire the first overall pick and drafting a lower-tier quarterback that they use as nothing more than a bench decoration, the Rams showed the world that they care more about receiving publicity than building a successful football team.

During preseason, the team was featured on HBO’s Hard Knocks so they could focus more on their image than preparing for the upcoming season. Now, they’re three games under .500 and appear to keep going further and further downhill.

Many students here at Lindbergh seem to have had the same reaction to losing our football team, that this is the perfect opportunity to find a new team to cheer for. Students such as newly-energized Steelers fan Ryan Sheahan (12) who were robbed of their team are realizing that the Rams’ departure might carry with it a silver lining.

“I was really disappointed at first, but now I have the opportunity to find a new favorite team, and change is not always a bad thing,” Sheahan said.

Los Angeles, after seeing what has become of the Rams, I’d like to thank you on behalf of St. Louis for taking them off of our hands.