Winter Sports Update

Checking in on some of Lindbergh’s coolest sports

Ryan Lacefield (12) shoots the game tying three pointer at the end of the second half in the Vianney game. Later, in overtime, Lacefield made another last second shot to win the game.

Jake Wendel

Jake Wendel

Sarah Pickel, Staff Writer

The winter sports season is in full swing and Lindbergh’s teams have been working hard day in and day out. Boys basketball has a winning record with eight wins and only three losses, girls basketball has a record of eight and five, hockey has had some big wins, including one against Wentzville. Wrestling is coming out strong not only in their individual tournaments, but also in duels with a couple big wins. Girls swim and dive is going strong having won four of their last five meets. LHS is dominating the winter sports this year and really showing off some talent.

Sejal Krell (11) is one of the team captains on the girls basketball squad.

“Some highlights from the year so far include getting first place in the South Side Classic tournament and getting second place in the Rolla Tournament, which is known for being really competitive. We are also undefeated in our conference and have the best record that girls basketball has had in five years,” Krell said.

The girls are proving that hard work pays off and they will continue to improve as the season goes on.

Boys basketball has had some big moments too, with wins against Vianney, and John Burroughs to win the South Side Classic tournament, they have been showing off their skills in almost every game.

”The boys have shown a lot of perseverance on and off the court. They have found ways to come together as a team,” Scott Luczak (Athletic Director) said.

While the boys could work on some of their game, like making free throws more consistently, the rest of the season is looking promising.

Girls swim and dive is another example of how hard work pays off. With an entirely new coaching staff this year, many of the girls were unsure of how it would go. While the sets have been more challenging this year, getting up to around 7000 yards, the girls are working hard everyday to enhance their skills and get better times.

“We’ve been doing really hard sets, especially over winter break when we swam the most yards. Now we are starting to cool down as we get closer to conference. We have been working more on technique and the second half of our swims so we can finish strong,” Anne Simpson (12) said.

Not only does it look like they are going to finish their races strong, but their season as well.

All LHS winter sports teams are working hard and working to get better each and every day.

“Winter Sports are different for a couple of reasons. It is a longer season with a lot of time, especially holiday time, away from families to train or compete in tournaments. Also, it is the only season that is divided by the semester break and can immediately change team rosters based on how student athletes maintain that Focus on Academics,” Luczak said.

Having just passed the halfway point, all teams are showing potential. Every team has a place where there is room for improvement, but has full intentions of working on those to finish out the season strong.