Varsity Lindbergh Football Update

Varsity football takes on #8 team in the state

Sydney Marino, Staff Writer

After starting off the season 2-0, Lindbergh Football is on a hot streak and preparing to take on the #8 team in the state, Hazelwood Central, this Saturday. To recap, the team had an away win against Oakville, 41-7, to start off the season. As well as a big win at home last Friday night against Jackson, 45-19.

With the team preparing for the big game on Saturday against the Hawks, who had beat the Flyers 41-0 just last season, the team is looking for big games from both Rico Payton (WR) and David Grenia (WR), who went for a combined 7 touchdowns to start the season.

Hoping to gain momentum from last week’s win, players reflect on emotions following the game.

“Well they were 9th in the nation, Class 3, so we were very excited to come out with the big win,” Jason Grenia (11) said.

Not only was the team excited about the win, students in attendance were grateful to see the team come out with a win,

“I thought it was pretty crazy! Not really the win against Oakville because we always blow them out, but Jackson we lost 49-19 last year, but I think us [Green Machine and other students] being there really had an impact,” Quinn Jones (12) said.

Many are surprised to see the team taking a turn for the better after coming off a 3-7 season last year. Multiple changes were made to the team in the offseason, which may have contributed to the team’s recent success.

“We got a new coaching staff, a couple new coaches and we got a full offseason to practice,” Grenia said.

With these positive changes, the team hopes to improve from their season last year and continue into a new era of Lindbergh football. The Lindbergh community is eager to see what the rest of the season entail.

So good luck to the team for their big game Saturday and we’ll see them back under the lights next Friday!