Necessities Versus Accessories

Elliot Nelson, Staff Writer

Flyer Athletes Share Secrets of Expensive Equipment

With the advancements in equipment and technology, athletes have access to today, a new component has been integrated into the game.
There was a time when a football player’s brain was only protected by a thin layer of leather, but now we live in a world with injection-molded polycarbonate shells able to defray an impact similar to smashing your head into a wall at 20 mph.
Alongside the safety component of attire, athletic companies have boosted marketing by adding a wide variety of colors, styles, and types in all areas of the realm of athletic gear. Naturally, these trends, modifications and fashion statements have made their way to LHS as a result.
As the Lindbergh Football Team starts off the season on a 7-0 run, many people are being drawn to the players that are putting on the show. David Grenia (12) is just one competitor that has been dazzling spectators all year with his play, and his get up is making an impact as well.
Another key member of Lindbergh’s team is senior Logan Wells (12). Wells is a tight end and defensive end for the Flyers that puts everything he has into the game. Though he has the grit and grind, he chooses to not invest in the glamour.
“I have all of the mandatory gear like cleats which adds up to about $300 but I don’t have all of the extra optional stuff,” Wells said.
Sneaker companies have made soccer cleats stand out in recent years providing a plethora of color waves. Muhamed Husejinovic (12) has been faithful to Nike Magistas for many years. As for Lukas Bell (12), Nike Mercurials get the job done.
Similar to the minimal wardrobe of soccer, tennis desires only a few key components to allow maximum performance on the court. While not many quotas are needed to compete on the court, competitors of the game have a wide variety of choices when it comes to selecting gear.
Whether it be $900 or only $50, all athletes take high pride in their gear. It is imperative to competitors that every aspect of their outfit is comfortable and in great condition. Now that you have an understanding of what our classmates use to compete, get out and see Lindbergh’s athletes in action.

Lukas Bell: Nike Mercuriels - $20 Used from Play-it-Again Sports - “Though they are slightly worn, they do the same job as a brand new pair, so I enjoy saving the money,” Bell said. Nike Shin Guards - $25 Protect athletes’ shins from injury during a game or practice. Nike Straps - $6.99 Hold shin guards in place Total: $20