Administration Office Move: Johnny’s Market vs. Moore

District ponders ramifications of enrollment hike

Maddie Hays, Staff Writer

Among the many changes Lindbergh students are likely to see within the district in many years, a new administration building is one of them. As of Jan 13 the district purchased the former Johnny’s Market land. They intend to break ground this October and have the office up and running by fall 2017. While Lindbergh’s large campus provides its students a vast range of resources and classrooms, additional space is desperately needed to support the school’s growing student population.

Although it is a great success to have purchased more land for Lindbergh’s faculty. The question remains; was the price of $1.66 million worth it?

“Our district is growing! Lindbergh has taken several proactive steps to address the rapid growth in enrollment that our district has experienced,” Beth Johnston (District Communications Director) said.

While the district is working on property for a future Admin office, buildings in the Al B. Moore Leadership Center remain empty.

For those who do not know, the center features buildings located in Tapawingo that the Lindbergh district leases . This facility hosts professional development meetings for teachers daily and provides training for them as well, however not all of the buildings are in use. So why wouldn’t the Lindbergh save the money for other district expenses and put the new Administration office in Moore? Johnston answered these questions in regards to why the district chose the former Johnny’s Market over the Moore facilities for a new Admin building.

The new Central Office location is centrally located in the heart of our school district. It will provide convenient access for parents, community members and staff. This central location makes it very efficient for those exchanges to occur,” Johnston said.

While the location certainly overlooks the price point, it seemed to be more cost effective to put the new office in Tapawingo instead of Johnny’s Market.

However, the district is adapting to the constant growth in student enrollment. The 7,000 students expected to accumulate over the next couple of years will need the extra facilities to keep class sizes down.

“Lindbergh is the fastest growing district out of 23 school districts in St. Louis county,” Johnston said.