Lindbergh’s Plans for Assessing Eric Greitens’ $4 Million Assessment Budget Cut

Photo++via+Facebook.com%2FEricGreitens.+Use+via+Fair+Use+Doctrine.+
Photo  via Facebook.com/EricGreitens. Use via Fair Use Doctrine.

Photo via Facebook.com/EricGreitens. Use via Fair Use Doctrine.

Greitens Campaign

Greitens Campaign

Jessica Belle Kramer, Pilot Editor-in-Chief

In July, Governor Greitens decided to cut $4 million in education assessment funding while drafting Missouri’s new state budget. This cut includes removing funding for the state-wide ACT test. In 2015, Missouri started covering expenses for the April ACT exam, which gave high school juniors the opportunity to take the ACT for free. When April comes around this school year, thousands of Missouri students will be responsible for covering their own testing costs.

Currently, Lindbergh Schools is exploring their options for dealing with the blow. The district will have to decide if giving the test is something they can afford or if students will need to start covering their own testing expenses.

“What we’ll have to decide is whether or not there is a way for us to offer the ACT in a way similar to what we’ve been doing the past couple of years when the state was paying for it. It’s a service that I’ve loved being able to provide, so in a perfect world, I’d love to be able to provide access to [the test] for students who may otherwise not have the ability to take it, … but the question is whether we as a school can afford to do so. Prior to the state paying for it, it was not something we were able to do because of the cost. It is a very expensive test for over 500 students to take,” Dr. Eric Cochran (Head Principal) said.

Unfortunately, Lindbergh’s incoming juniors won’t know the fate of their testing plans until the District Assessment Committee convenes once school resumes. The District Assessment Committee, a group of teachers, administrators, and central office staff who set goals for the entire district, will have the final say.

“The plan is for the District Assessment Committee to get together and ultimately make the decisions on which assessments the district should invest in. It’s important that we have teacher input into [the decisions] because we have limited funds as a district and it’s important for them to have a say in whether or not they think this is important for our student body,” Dr. Cochran said.

The fate of Lindbergh’s testing future is up in the air in the hands of the administration, as well as the students. Some students predict a decrease in those taking the test, yet some say students will take the test regardless.

“I am [already] planning to take the ACT more than on the previously required testing date and will be able to pay to take one on a Saturday, but I see a potential half and half split [in the current 11th grade class]. Some will take it regardless of who is paying, but others may not take it because they cannot afford it or aren’t planning on attending college and don’t find it necessary,” Bea Kuhn (11) said.

Once school resumes on the eighteenth and the DAC has had a chance to meet and discuss the situation, an update will be posted with their final decision.

Lindbergh High School will always be a testing center, regardless, and students will always have the option to test on a Saturday testing date.

“There’s so many opportunities to take the ACT here at school in the fall, winter, and spring. Those options will always be available, but obviously they come at the cost of the student,” Dr. Cochran (Head Principal) said.